Sunday, March 6, 2011

February 22, 2011 Dean Kau

"When we serve others we are not motivated by selfishness, but by charity" according to Dean Kau. A leadership experience I've had where I've been motivated by charity occurred just last Tuesday, the week we didn't have class. A girl wanting to interview for next year's SH VP came in to talk with me about what SH is, how it works, what its programs are, etc. I could have just told her flat out that since she had never been involved with our area before there's little chance she'd become VP so she should just bag it. During our conversation I could tell her heart was in the right place and that some day she would make a fantastic VP; I told her what I could and printed out a rough, ROUGH outline of each of our programs hoping that would be enough for her to succeed. I guess I share this experience because it's only out of my genuine interest in her behalf that I took 90 minutes of my time to talk with her about something so dear to my heart. I met with her initially thinking our discussion would be a waste of time but by the end I realized how much I care for the Honor Code and that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I hope she does well in her future leadership positions because if she can inspire me then she can inspire a ton of people!

It's important for me to serve and lead now because tomorrow may never come. I shouldn't wait to be influential. I should do what I can today so I can improve for tomorrow. Time is precious and it's how I use that time that determines my future happiness and success!

At my first meeting as Vice President for Student Honor the old presidency and the new presidency met up with the leaders of our University and Elder Johnson who, at the time, was the CES President (he might still be but I'm not sure). He spoke about how the winds will blow and storms will come but how I face those oppositions are what make me a strong leader. "Will you face those challenges with a smile?" he asked us, "Or will you groan and shirk away from your responsibilities?" In two weeks a full year ago I decided I would face my challenges with a smile and haven't stopped smiling yet. It's important that I do my job the best I can meaning that I work hard to be a good student, a good sibling, a good daughter, a good teammate, and most importantly a good friend. In preparation for unexpected opportunities I need to make sure that I'm doing all I can so that I have the time to serve others without forgetting the duties to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment